1. Skip to content

We use cookies to improve your online experience. For information on the cookies we use and for details on how we process your personal information, please see our privacy policy. By continuing to use our website you consent to us using cookies. OK, Thanks

Crick Community

Serving the people of Crick

Crick - The First Village in Northamptonshire

Crick is a village in the Daventry district of the county of Northamptonshire in England. It is located on the western edge of Northamptonshire near the county borders with Leicestershire and Warwickshire. It is about 14 miles north-west of Northampton, six miles east of Rugby and seven miles north of Daventry, and is close to the A5 and to Junction 18 of the M1. It is about 150 metres above sea level.

Crick parish covers almost 3500 acres and has about 1000 houses. The village has many active groups and societies including Darby & Joan, cubs & scouts, football, drama and local history. Community needs are met by a Post Office & General Store, Co-op, dispensing surgery, garden centre, garage, marina, three pubs and a club, a restaurant and two hotels. There are two churches, a primary school, two community halls, a sports field and a traditional playing field. Crick's many circular walks cover over 40 acres of public access park and woodland including Cracks Hill Country Park, Crick Millennium Wood Pocket Park, the Jubilee Wood and the canal towpath. The Leicester Arm of the Grand Union canal passes to the east of the village and the Watling Street is to the south-west at the parish boundary.

From many locations within the village there are views of the low rolling hills that lie to the north and east. Green fingers of pastureland enter the village in a number of places to give the village its distinctive rural character. Footpaths radiate from the village across this surrounding land, which is mainly pasture with some arable. The pasture land reflects the past importance of the wool industry and there remain many fine examples of ridge and furrow within the parish.

There has been a settlement in the parish since the Neolithic period. Recent archaeological discoveries over the past 20 years have shown a pre-Roman Iron Age settlement, probably one of the largest in the country, existed just a mile from the centre of the present village. These discoveries have resulted in Crick being named "The first village in Northamptonshire".

Crick is recorded in the Doomsday book. The Church of St Margaret of Antioch may well have existed before the stone building of 1077.

Watford Gap has carried major transport routes for 2000 years, from the Roman Watling Street to the M1. Railway and canal share this route, which has brought trade from early times, continued today with the logistics park of DIRFT, which is on the west of the parish and of the M1.

Crick remained an agricultural community into the mid-20th century. Today it is home for many industry and service workers in the region, and for long distance commuters because of its proximity to the motorways, rail station and airports.

Jim Goodger
Crick History Society

Other Documents: Crick History, Crick Digital Archive & Crick History Society contact details.